Transit Visa (C-1)
Anyone planning to transit through the United States en route to another country must obtain a transit (C-1) visa in advance of the planned travel. The transit visa is issued to foreign nationals proceeding in immediate and continuous transit through the United States to some foreign destination. Travelers who have a valid B-1/B-2 do not need a special transit visa to transit through the United States.
Travelers who intend to transit the United States, who possess a U.S. visa of a classification other than B-1/B-2 or C-1 will in most cases not be admitted by U.S. immigration officials, and may be returned to their country of origin at their own expense.
How To Apply
To apply, please refer to the Nonimmigrant Visa Application Procedures page. In addition, the following supporting documents may or may not be requested from the applicant and are only required at the discretion of the consular officer::
- A copy of the itinerary/reservations or other evidence of transportation arrangements to the applicant's destination showing the need to transit the United States.
- Permission to enter a country other than the United States following the transit through the United States, unless the applicant can demonstrate that such advance permission is not required.
- In certain cases, additional documents may be requested.
- All documents must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted, unless specified. The applicant must submit these documents to the interviewing consular officer during the interview. The Nonimmigrant Visa Unit does not accept documents before the interview. Any documents received will not be returned and will be destroyed. Please note, however, that presentation of the documents will not guarantee visa issuance. Applicants must still qualify for the type of visa being sought.
- IMPORTANT: Presentation of the documents will not guarantee visa issuance. Airline tickets should not be purchased until a visa has been issued and the applicant is in receipt of his or her passport.
Nonimmigrant Visa Unit (NIV) is open for business Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except on U.S. and Philippine Holidays.