Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Turn Admin On!
General Information


Visa Category

                Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

                Immediate Relative

                Family Based


                Diversity Visa Program

                Employment Based

                Returning Residents


Spouses and Fiancé(e)s of U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens have a number of options to bring their spouses or fiancé(e)s and their children to the United States to become lawful permanent residents.  Marriage to a U.S. citizen does not automatically grant U.S. residence or citizenship to the spouse.  He or she must be petitioned by the U.S. citizen and apply for a visa to enter the United States.

A spouse or fiancé(e) who wishes to take up indefinite residence in the United States requires one of the following visas:

Immigrant (IR1/CR1) Visas

An immigrant visa is required to immigrate to the United States if you are married, and the marriage took place outside the United States.  The spouse of a U.S. citizen qualifies for an immigrant visa in the immediate relative category.  Applicants who qualify for a visa on the basis of a marriage which was entered into less than two years prior to the date on which he/she is admitted into the United States as an immigrant, will be granted conditional resident status.  The USCIS website offers more information on how to petition alien spouses to live in the United States.  

Nonimmigrant (K-3/K-4) Visas

The K-3 nonimmigrant visa is for the spouse of a U.S. citizen who has a pending I-130 immigrant visa petition with USCIS.  K-3 visas entitle holders to travel to the United States while waiting for the approval of the visa petition.  Eligible children of K-3 visa applicants may apply for the K-4 visas, provided that the applicant is below 21 years old and unmarried. For additional information, please visit this link.

Fiancé(e) (K-1/K-2) Nonimmigrant Visas

The K visa is a visa for a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen who will travel to the United States to marry and take up indefinite residence after marriage. To qualify for a fiancé(e) visa, the following criteria must be met:

  • one party is a U.S. Citizen;
  • both parties are legally free to marry; and
  • the marriage will take place within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States on the fiancé(e) visa.

U.S. citizens who wish to bring their fiancé(e) to the United States on a K visa must first file a petition with USCIS in the United States.

The K visa does not automatically grant U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident (LPR) status to the beneficiaries. Those who qualify for K visas will be able to join their partners in the United States as a nonimmigrant, without the potentially long period of separation during the petition process. Once married, they will need to adjust their immigration status in the United States to become lawful permanent residents.  

Derivative visa status (K-2) is accorded to children of K-1 visa applicants, provided that the child is under the age of 21 and has no claim to U.S. citizenship.  For more information on how to apply for a K visa, click here

Note: Step-children of U.S. citizens generally qualify for the immediate relative category (IR2/CR2), but only if the marriage that created the step-parent and step-child relationship occurred before the child’s eighteenth birthday.

Immigrant Visas

Visa Category

                Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

                Immediate Relative

                Family Based


                Diversity Visa Program

                Employment Based

                Returning Residents


                Filing a Petition

                Medical Examination

                The Interview

  • Scheduling an Appointment
  • Documents Required for the Interview
  • Tips for a Comfortable Visit
  • After the Interview

Visa Fees

    Contact Us

    Hours of Operation

    Case Status Check


  1. Who can Apply for an Immigrant Visa
  2. How Does NVC process approved petitions
  3. Visa Category
  4. Updating Personal Information
  5. Issues Affecting Eligibility
  6. Child Status Protection Act
  7. Diversity Visa
  8. Returning Resident
  9. Case Transfer

Hours of Operation


The Immigrant Visa Unit (IV) is open for business Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (for inquiry lines), and from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (for public information window), except on U.S. and Philippine Holidays.

Scheduling an Appointment

Immigrant Visa Appointment 

All case processing for Manila, including appointment scheduling for immigrant visa cases, is generally done at the National Visa Center (NVC) in the U.S. An applicant’s case number does not determine his or her position in the scheduling queue. Once a case is current (i.e., priority date is current for processing), and is “documentarily qualified” (i.e., all the necessary, completed documents are received at the NVC) , the waiting time for an appointment date is approximately one (1) to three (3) months. 

As soon as an appointment date becomes available, NVC will forward the case to Embassy Manila. NVC will also send the petitioner and/or the authorized agent/representative an appointment letter.

If a case has been current for over three (3) months and no visa appointment letter has been received, contact the NVC for a status upsate. NVC’s mailing address is 31 Rochester Avenue, Suite 200, Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801-2909 (Attention: WC), telephone number (603) 334-0700. Case inquiries can also be made by e-mail at

Scheduling Appointments for IV or K Petitions

To schedule a visa appointment for IV or K petitions, please contact the Embassy’s Visa Information and Appointment Service at (632) 982-5555 or (632) 902-8930.  The Visa Information and Appointment Service is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Manila time), except on Philippine and U.S. holidays. Callers in the U.S should call (214) 571-1600, from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time). 

You must have the case number, passport number, and passport expiry date for each applicant (principal applicant and derivative family members) ready when requesting for a visa appointment.

You can also get information and book an appointment online at

Visa Interview Appointments

If you have an interview date, but no time is indicated on your appointment letter, you should plan to appear at the Embassy at 7:30 a.m. on the date of your appointment.

Immigrant and K Visa Applicant Appointment Package/Instructions

If you have been scheduled for an interview, you may print and download the appropriate instructions and forms by clicking on the links below:  

K1/K2 Interview Preparation Instructions (English) (PDF - 287 KB) 

K1/K2 Interview Preparation Instructions (Tagalog) (PDF - 296 KB)

IV Applicants Interview Preparation Instruction (English) (PDF - 331 KB)

IV Applicants’ Interview Preparation Instructions (Tagalog) (PDF - 379 KB) 

K3/K4 Interview Preparation Instructions (English) (PDF - 292 KB)

K3/K4 Interview Preparation Instructions (Tagalog) (PDF - 300 KB)