Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Renew a Passport for a Child (Under Age 16)


For Filipino Translation of this page, click here.

This page is for children that have previously received a U.S. passport.  Please click here to apply for U.S. citizenship, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and a passport for a child for the first time.

All minor children must apply in person. 

Step 1:

Read and print the Passport Checklist.

Step 2:

  • Fill out electronically and print the DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form. If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-11 (PDF format). To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat. Get a free download from the Adobe website.
  • Please check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.
  • Click Apply Online to access the DS-11 form.
  • Please note that some instructions are only applicable in the United States.

Step 3:

  • Click here to schedule an appointment.  Use a valid email address and print your confirmation. Click here to cancel an appointment.

Step 4:

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. Please click here for the Two Parent Consent Requirement for Passport Issuance to Minors Under Age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST:
  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent

One Parent MUST:

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent
  • Submit the second parent's notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053) with the attached photo I.D. used during notarization of the consent. This form must be notarized by a U.S. commissioned notary or a Consular Officer of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  

One Parent
(with sole legal custody)

  • Appear in person with the minor
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer/Acceptance Agent
  • Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
  • Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent. If the death occured in the Philippines, please provide the NSO or PSA issued death certificate. 

NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained.  The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's or guardian's unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.  The applying parent also may be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstance. The Embassy may ask for additional details if the statement is determined to be insufficient.

A Third Party
(in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16)

  • If both parents are unavailable, a third party may apply for the passport of the child with a signed, notarized written statement from both parents authorizing a third party to apply for the child's passport.  The document must be duly notarized by a U.S. commissioned notary or a U.S. Embassy. Both parents must also provide a photocopy of the front and back side of their acceptable photo identification document that was used during notarization of the statement/s  (please refer to the passport checklist for the required information that must be contained on the written statement). Note: an incomplete written statement will not be accepted.  

IMPORTANT NOTE: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than 3 months old.  New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16.      

Step 5:

Follow all the instructions on the checklist and bring all documents with you to your appointment. Once payment has been made and application has been approved, passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. The expired U.S. passport (duly cancelled by the Embassy) will be delivered together with the new U.S. passport. Note: Please expect a much longer turn-around time for passport delivery if the application was initially submitted at the American Consular Agency in Lahug, Cebu.